This Red Onion Tart recipe is a year round favourite of mine and a recipe handed to me by my older sister who is more than a dab hand in the kitchen. Works great as a winter warmer when eaten straight from the oven but also goes well hot or cold with BBQ food in summer. Dead easy to make, especially when you use ready-made puff pastry.
Preparation Time: c.10 mins
Cooking Time: c.55 mins
Serves: 4 – 6 people
Puff Pastry (shop bought)
4/5 Red Onions
Light Muscovado Sugar (approx. 4 tbsp.)
Fresh Basil Leaves (optional)
- Thinly slice the red onions and place in a saucepan with a knob of butter. Place a lid on the pan and slowly sweat them down (approx. 15/20 mins)
- Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook slowly for 10/15 minutes
- Roll out the puff pastry to fit over a baking tray and score around the edge with a knife to trim it off. I’d recommend brushing the pastry overhang with a little bit of milk to help prevent it from burning.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (170 for fan oven)
- Strain the onions and spread evenly over the pastry.
- Crumble the Feta cheese over the top of the onions
- Bake for around 20/25 minutes or until the pastry is cooked and golden brown
Best served warm and scattered with fresh torn basil leaves. Great with salad in summer and anything else hearty in winter.